Pages

Tuesday, October 6

L is for....LOOK!


Nesting Box 1 last Night!



When I went to clean out the henhouse last night I discovered the very first egg the girls had delivered for us. I am not sure who was responsible but I have a suspision it is May.

We did not eat it, though tepmpted, we marked it and left it in the nesting box to encourage the others to lay some more!

The hens are definately showing their personalities now. First on the scene, front of the queue is always Little Eva followed by May. The two dominent ones tend to be Mabel and Olwyn. When I am putting them in for the night it is Mabel who would sleep in the tree if given half a chance. They both stretch their necks towards the tree when going in for the evening and I wonder if they are casing the joint for future escape plans! Margie and Bev are always the first into the henhouse and seem to be the most placid.

We are very happy with the way they are all getting along! Their favourite snack has to be the elderberries and the wind fallen apples...which reminds me, I must sort out the apples and EVERYTHING else on my list. Trouble is, we are very busy with Jon's business right now and tomorrow we are off to Sunderland for 3 meetings. Thursday I have 2 meetings, again for Jon's business and we are both off to Huddersfield on Friday, again 3 more meetings.

Then there are the wedding commissions I have on....
STILL! I am not complaining!
Anybody who is business and moans about being busy is quite frankly in the wrong job!
Business is all about being busy! Infact I would bet on the fact that busy is a root word of business! What do you think?

21 comments:

  1. Busy, busy, busy - and all the better for it. It's good that your hens are doing what they should - or one of them anyway. Yesterday one egg - tomorrow a dozen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ta da! Must be great to find an egg and maybe the others will take the hint and soon you'll have a dozen or so. Like the story of putting the "gals" to "bed" for the evening, sounds like there are several types of personalities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you found the golden egg. Congratulations and congratulations on work coming in for both of you. In these hard economic times its good to see good honest work being recognized and wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a real cute one...loved the name of the suspect -"May". Let May lay more and encourage others to lay more too :)

    Busy- ofcourse. You got to be on your toes all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice neat egg, - a great Look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your very first egg, may there be MANY more to come. I love brown eggs...just like the look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking! I'm looking! lol
    Very soon you'll have more eggs and hopefully more chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you sure are not counting the chicks!
    agree with you about busy(ness)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Safe journeys - you are certainly getting about at the moment. When you do eat those "home grown" eggs you will be surprized at just HOW much better they are than "boughten" . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. That egg looks nice and stands out on the white shreddings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hurrah for the first egg! Ours are slowing down so I need to find some young hens to add to the flock.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your first "present"! May the girls lay more and more from now on! :o)

    Kisses from Nydia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could well be right about busy-ness!

    Well done that hen! Soon you'll have so many lovely omelettes. The flavour of "home-grown" eggs is beyond compare.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice. I don't know if there is a difference but I've always heard that brown eggs are better. I wonder if that's true. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm frankly fascinated by the shredded paper, some of which were probably Letters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am impressed with your creative take on the word, "Look." My 2 year old grandson must have said that word 25 times today and I never got the hint! I went with "ladder" instead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There's "busy" and then there's "productive".

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fresh eggs! I'm almost tempted to give up Bailey for chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely agree with you on being busy in business - especially in this day and age with people being layed off all the time.

    That's a lovely looking egg - I suspect it will be a hard shell. I give my hens apples too!

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, always nice to know somebody has taken the time to let me know what they think.